Friday, February 5, 2010

A cool story

Hello Everybody!

I hope everyone is ready for this snow. The grocery stores are packed like Y2K.

Just wanted to tell you all a story...

Last week on Thursday I went up to Westminster High School to see some kids and hopefully meet some. After hanging with some kids I found myself in a conversation with a Junior girl named Kelsey who I had never met. She proceeded to ask me many questions including, "Who are you? Why are you here?" Before I could get an answer out she asked me, "But your like 20 why are you hanging out with 9th graders?" Needless to say she had no filter. I left that laughing and pretty doubtful of my ability to work with kids. The few days later I went back. As I was talking with some kids I felt a hand hit my shoulder, and I turn around to see Kelsey. She asks me the same question, "Your 20 why are you here?" I respond very cleverly, "I'm 22 actually, and I'm here to see some friends." For whatever reason she thought this was funny, and after a 5 minute conversation I was accepted as a friend of Kelsey. I mentioned I wanted to meet the Vice Principle and as he walked by Kelsey said, "Oh he's my best friend I'll introduce you!" She did, and then before I left she said, "Are you going to be here tomorrow?"

Chap Clark at New Staff Training said, "Every kid we are working with is asking the question, "Is this going to be a person who truly cares about me?" I'm borderline emotional as I write this because I remember when Kelsey asked why I was there and was the extreme of skeptical. But soon after she was asking the question, "Are you coming back?" Kids need Christ and a rescuer in their lives. I am so blessed to have a part in this as a mini-rescuer of kids. We bring a light into a dark place. To answer Kelsey's question, I'm going back.


On a short note, last Monday, we had Campaigners and we talked about why we do club. We said Jesus was known as being a friend of "sinners" and therefore we want Young Life to have the same reputation. We decided that if non-Christians aren't coming to club, then we will do things that they will come to. Me and Tiff and the Campaigners are going to focus on loving and befriending lost kids and start club as soon as we feel it will be a place that non-Christian kids feel is for them.

To help this process I went up today to Westminster High School to volunteer to help with the baseball team. I got a job! I'll be helping out with the team which will give me a reason to be around kids and get to know them.

Thanks for your prayers! They are being answered!

No comments:

Post a Comment